The H6 Handy from Zoom is a portable handheld recorder and USB audio interface that features an interchangeable microphone system. The recorder ships with both XY and mid-side microphone modules, foam windscreen, 2GB SD card, four AA batteries, USB cable, Cubase LE and a hard carrying case. Optional module attachments can be purchased for expanded functionality.
The H6 Handy allows for versatile recording techniques, giving you several options right out of the box. The included XYH-6 XY microphone module is made up of two matched unidirectional condenser microphones and is intended for capturing accurate, phase-correct stereo audio. The module allows you to adjust the angle of the two mics to either 90 degrees, or for a wider stereo image, 120 degrees.
For situations that call for audio that allows for width control over your stereo image after it has been recorded, the XY module can be switched out for the MSH-6 mid-side stereo microphone module. Contrary to the appearance of the capsule, the mid-side module actually contains two elements positioned on top of one another: a unidirectional mic which faces forward (mid), and a bi-directional mic set perpendicular to it (side). In addition to providing you the ability to adjust the width of your stereo audio after it has been recorded, MS recording also provides true mono compatibility, a factor that comes into play in situations such as television production.
In addition, the H6 is equipped with four XLR/TRS combo inputs for connecting external mic/line sources such as microphones or mixers. All four inputs and each of the mic modules are equipped with their own preamps with dedicated gain knobs that are easily accessible whether you have the unit mounted to your camera, or strapped over your shoulder. Also, each of the four combo inputs has its own -20dB pad.
The recorder allows you to record up to six channels at once and stores them to SDXC memory cards up to 128GB in size. It also features a backup-record option that tracks a duplicate of the left and right channels with -12db input gain. This means that if you find that you have tracked your main audio too loud and that distortion has occurred in your audio, you will have a backup stereo mix with 12 db more headroom as a fail-safe. The unit also doubles as a 6-in/2-out USB audio interface and it can be used with your computer running the included Cubase LE or other DAW software.
- XYH-6 X/Y capsule also provides a secondary input for connecting an external mic or line level signal via stereo 1/8" mini jack
- Optional wired controllers for remote transport controls
- Optional hairy windscreen offers improved wind diffusion
- Built-in speaker, located on the underside of the unit, for fast monophonic monitoring of the recorded signal without the need to make any connections
- Interchangeable input capsules that can be swapped out as easily as the lens of a camera
- Six-track simultaneous recording
- Four mic/line inputs with XLR/TRS combo connectors
- Physical gain control knobs and -20dB pads for each input
- Phantom power for all main inputs: +12/+24/+48V
- Records directly to SD, SDHC and SDXC cards up to 128GB
- Up to 24-bit/96kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Auto-record, pre-record and backup-record functions
- Multitrack to stereo internal mixdown
- Independent monitor and playback mixes
- Graphical VU meters
- Voice memo and up to 99 marks per recording
- Overdubbing, up to 99 takes
- Built-in effects, including low-cut filtering, compression and limiting
- Onboard MS decoding
- Normalize, Divide and Trim editing
- Chromatic tuner and metronome
- Loop Playback with user-defined start and stop points
- Variable playback speed, from 50% to 150%
- Variable pitch per track without affecting playback speed
- USB port for data exchange to and from computer
- Multichannel and stereo USB audio interface for PC/Mac/iPad
- Camera strap mounts
- Mounts directly to DSLR or camcorder with optional HS-01 Hot Shoe Mount adapter
- Accepts standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries
- Over 20 hours of operation with 4 AA alkaline batteries
- Large full-color angled LCD display that allows visibility whether mounted on a camera or strapped over shoulder
|Recording Media||SD card: 16 MB to 2 GB
SDHC card: 4 GB to 32 GB
SDXC card: 64 GB to 128 GB
|Input Connections||4 x XLR/TRS combo jacks; XLR: Pin 2 hot; TRS: Tip hot
1x 1/8" stereo mini jack (XYH-6 MIC/LINE IN)
|Input Gain||-∞ to 55.5 dB (PAD OFF)
-∞ to 35.5 dB (PAD ON)
|Input Level||-∞ to 46.5 dB (XYH-6 MIC/LINE IN)|
|Input Impedance||6.8 kΩ (INPUTS 1 to 4)
2 kΩ (XYH-6 MIC/LINE IN)
|Maximum Input Level||+22 dBu, PAD ON (INPUTS 1 to 4)|
|Phantom Power||+12V /+24V /+48V, independent (INPUTS 1 to 4)
2.5V plug-in power, (XYH-6 MIC/LINE IN)
|Equivalent Input Noise||-120 dBu or less|
|Output Connections||1x 1/8" stereo mini jack (LINE OUT)
1x 1/8" stereo mini jack (PHONE OUT)
|Output Level||-10 dBu when output load impedance is 10 kΩ or more (LINE OUT)
20 W +20 W into 32 Ω load (PHONE OUT)
|Built-in Speaker||400mw 8 Ω mono speaker|
|Recording Formats||WAV, MP3|
|Sample Rate||44.1/48/96 kHz (WAV)
44.1 kHz (MP3)
|Bit Depth||16, 24 (WAV)|
|Bit Rate||48/56/64/80/96/112/128/160/192/224/256/320 kbps (MP3)|
|Max Simultaneous Recording||8 (L/R + INPUT 1 to 4 + L/R backup), backup recording: -12dB lower than set L/R input gain (WAV)
|Recording to SD Card||With 2 GB card:
03:08:00 (44.1 kHz / 16-bit WAV)
34:43:00 (128 kbps MP3)
|Display||2.0-inch full color LCD (320 x 240 pixels)|
|USB Port||Mass Storage Class operation:
USB 2.0 high speed
Audio Interface operation, multi-track mode:
USB 2.0 high speed, multi-track or stereo modes
|Power Requirements||AA size (LR6) battery x 4
AC adapter: AD-17 (DC5V/1A/USB-type) (optional)
USB bus power
|Battery Life||Over 20 hours (with alkaline battery, continuous recording)|
|Dimensions||3 x 6 x 1.9" (77.8 x 152.8 x 47.8 mm)|
|Weight||9.9 oz (280 g)|
|Type||XYH-6 X/Y: Unidirectional
MSH-6 MS: Unidirectional and bi-directional
|Sensitivity||XYH-6 X/Y: -41 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
MSH-6 MS: -37 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa (unidirectional);
-39 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa (bi-directional)
|Input Gain||XYH-6 X/Y: -∞ to 46.5 dB
MSH-6 MS: -∞ to 42.5 dB
|Maximum SPL||XYH-6 X/Y: 136 dB SPL
MSH-6 MS: 120 dB SPL (unidirectional)
122 dB SPL (bi-directional)
|Dimensions||XYH-6 X/Y: 3.1 x 2.4 x 1.8" (78.9 x 60.2 x 45.2 mm)
MSH-6 MS: 2.3 x 2.66 x 1.65" (58 x 67.6 x 42.1 mm)
|Weight||XYH-6 X/Y: 4.6 oz (130 g)
MSH-6: 3 oz (85 g)
1. FREE Standard Shipping
Free Economy Shipping is available on all orders exceeding R1,000. (T&C's apply)
*Terms and conditions to qualify for free shipping:
- Shipping may only be to a physical address within the borders of South Africa. No P.O Box's allowed.
- Shipping to outlying or remote areas like farms and game reserves may attract an additional fee.
- The delivery time to city areas is usually between 2 and 4 working days*. This excludes weekends and public holidays.
2. SWE Courier Service (local)
We use SWE couriers as our preferred method of delivery.
Your parcel is well packaged and handled with care while in transit.
Shipping charges are all depended on the following:
- Volumetric and Physical weight
- Courier Option
If Item is in stock, your item can be delievered between 1-2 Business Days - Main Cities are: Cape Town, Johannesburg, Pretoria, Durban, Port Elizabeth and East London. Other cities/towns will take more than 1-2 delivery time.
If Item is being collected from our suppliers, you item can be deeilevr between 2-7 Business Days - To all areas.
If the item has been pre-ordered for you, this can take anything from 4 - 8 weeks.
*Reckoned from time of dispatch to time of arrival to client. This is an estimate and not guaranteed. This period does not include Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.
3. UPS Courier Service (International)
International orders are generally subject to local import duties and taxes (VAT)
DT Film Services is not responsible for, nor can we offer, any specific advice regarding any customs related fees that you may incur. For specific information, please consult with your local government import office.
Privacy: Your privacy is important to us. We strive to exceed your expectations for privacy. Cross-border shipments are subject to inspection by customs authorities. We may also be called upon to provide certain order, shipment, and product information to our international carriers. Carriers may communicate such information to customs authorities for the purpose of facilitating customs clearance and compliance with local laws.
International shipments are quoted on a per order basis depending on the size and weight of the parcel shipped.
4. Collect from DT Film Services in Durban
You are welcome to place your order online, pay for it and collect it from our Durban branch. You will need to bring in a print out of the order for collection. Please ask for Louise in Sales on arrival.
DT Film Services - Durban
Open: Mon-Fri 8 to 5PM
5 Nunhead Road,