Combining a super telephoto length, bright aperture, and lightweight design, the FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS Lens from Sony is designed for their E-mount cameras and is ideal for sports, news, wildlife, and nature photographers. The f/4 aperture and eleven-blade circular diaphragm provide great depth of field control for isolating subjects, as well as maximizing performance for low-light shooting situations. Three fluorite elements and one XA (extreme aspherical) element reduce chromatic aberration and color bleeding, while two ED (extra-low dispersion) elements and a Nano AR lens coating further increase performance and image quality by reducing flare, ghosting, and spherical aberations while shooting in harsh conditions. The front element is further protected by a fluorine coating that helps prevent dirt and fingerprints from sticking, while making it easier to wipe clean if they do become attached to the lens surface.
Weighing in at just 6.71 pounds, this lens is incredibly portable for glass of its size. The weight of the lens is also redistributed to the back to make it less front heavy, making tracking subjects and panning easier whether you're shooting handheld or on a monopod. Complementing that is Sony's XD (Extreme Dynamic) Linear Motor autofocus system, which is driven by two motors to quickly and quietly track subjects across the frame, even while shooting at high speeds. Furthermore, Optical SteadyShot can combine with in-body stabilization to provide 5-axis stabilization.
Video shooters will also be pleased to find Power Focus functionality, which provides smooth, even focus while shooting movies. The magnesium alloy body of this lens is also dust- and moisture-resistant for protection while shooting in adverse conditions. A fixed tripod collar employs bearings to ensure smooth rotation, with a switch to engage or disengage click stops. When engaged, users can switch between horizontal and vertical orientations in 90° increments as required. The click stops can be disengaged when smooth, low-resistance operations are required.
- Light 600mm f/4 Super Telephoto Lens
- Weighing in at 6.71 pounds, the light weight and balance of the FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS lens is achieved through an optical design that includes a large XA (extreme aspherical) element, three fluorite elements, and two ED glass elements, as well as the use of durable magnesium alloy components. The improved design of this well-balanced lens reduces the number of elements deployed at the front of the barrel, resulting in faster, more precise panning, whether shooting handheld or on a monopod.
- XD (Extreme Dynamic) Linear Motors for Fast, Precise Autofocus
- To make full use of the rapidly evolving performance speed of modern and future camera bodies, the lens' focus group is driven by two XD (extreme dynamic) Linear Motors that achieve higher thrust and efficiency than conventional types of AF drive motors. The XD Linear Motors deliver improved levels of fast, precise, and quiet autofocus operation, and also contribute to reliable and tenacious AF tracking that sports and wildlife photographers will appreciate. Additionally, an algorithm developed specifically for the XD motors improves their response, minimizing lag and instability that can occur when driving a large aperture focus lens group, resulting in quiet, low-vibration operation.
- Superlative G Master Quality
- All lenses bearing the G Master brand are designed to high standards, ensuring that outstanding contrast at high spatial frequencies is maintained right out to the image edges. The optical design includes a large aperture XA (extreme aspherical) element and three fluorite elements that help to minimize axial chromatic aberration that can be a problem in large-aperture lenses, as well as lateral chromatic aberration that can reduce resolution towards the image periphery. Color bleeding is effectively suppressed, allowing clear reproduction of the finest subject details, while Sony's original Nano AR coating suppresses any unwanted reflections, glare, or ghosting.
- Three Fluorite Elements and Two ED Glass Elements Reduce Flare and Ghosting
- Based on an optical design that conforms to stringent G Master standards, the FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS includes three fluorite elements and one ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass element that help to reduce chromatic aberration, a common problem in telephoto lenses. Extremely high resolution is maintained right out to the image edges. Spherical aberration is optimized to create a strong balance between high resolution and soft, beautiful bokeh through careful control at both the design and manufacturing stages. Each lens is individually tested and adjusted to achieve these characteristics.
- Wide f/4 Maximum Aperture
- The wide f/4 maximum aperture maintains exposure and depth of field, while also allowing maximum light for shooting in almost any condition. When changing your aperture to defocus the background, the areas out of the focal plane appear blurred. This 'bokeh' effect of the blurred background can be enhanced with the circular aperture blades used in this lens.
- 11-Blade Circular Aperture
- Complementing the wide f/4 aperture is the 11-blade circular aperture that results in soft-edged bokeh that is a hallmark of the Sony G Master series. While conventional aperture blades have flat sides that create unappealing, polygonal-shaped defocused points of light, this lens overcomes this problem through a design that keeps the aperture almost perfectly circular from its wide-open setting to when it is closed by 2 stops. Smoother, more natural defocusing can be obtained as a result. In addition to careful control of spherical aberration at the design stage, this lens is tested and adjusted during manufacturing to achieve the high-quality bokeh.
- Nano AR Coating
- Sony's original Nano AR Coating is applied to interior lens surfaces to effectively suppress reflections that can lead to flare and ghosting, significantly enhancing image clarity and contrast. This precisely defined regular nano-structure allows accurate light transmission, contributing to high-quality images, even more so than with lenses that use coatings with an irregular nano-structure.
- Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization Reduces Blur
- High-performance Optical SteadyShot image stabilization is built right into the lens for sharp, blur-free images with a wide range of subjects and handheld shooting. An updated 'Mode 3' algorithm is optimized for the smooth, stable framing of moving subjects. Control features have also been refined to effectively support professional requirements. 5-axis image stabilization becomes available when used with Alpha-series cameras that feature built-in image stabilization.
- 4x Customizable Multi-Function Focus Hold Buttons and Function Ring
- The FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS features focus hold buttons in four locations on the lens barrel for easy access in virtually any shooting situation. Once you've adjusted focus to where you want it, pressing one of the focus hold buttons on the lens barrel will keep the lens locked to that focusing distance. The focus hold buttons can also be customized via an in-camera body menu, allowing them to be assigned to a different function selected by the user, such as Eye AF.
- Dust- and Moisture-Resistant for Robust Reliability
- Sony's lens sealing maximizes resistance to dust and moisture, providing the reliability needed for outdoor use and in challenging environmental conditions as demanded by professional photographers.
- Lightweight Lens
- A durable magnesium alloy is used not only for the lens barrel exterior and tripod mount, but also for interior barrel components. This provides the tough durability that demanding professional applications require, while minimizing the overall weight. The FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS weighs in at 6.71 pounds.
- 1.4x and 2.0x Tele-Converter Support
- Optional high-performance 1.4x and 2.0x tele-converters are supported, providing up to a 1200mm focal length, or up to an 1800mm equivalent on APS-C bodies. Outstanding imaging performance and fast, precise AF operations are maintained when either of these tele-converters are used, ensuring that the lens' G Master image quality is not compromised. Maximum aperture with the 1.4x and 2.0x tele-converters is f/5.6 and f/8, respectively.
- Instant Auto/Manual Focus Selection
- Instantly and quickly switch between auto and manual focus via an AF/MF switch on the side of the lens. This makes focusing faster and easier as you let the camera and lens focus for you, or you can decide to take control and manually focus on the precise point you chose.
- Fluorine Front Element Coating
- The front lens element features a fluorine coating that helps to prevent dirt and fingerprints from sticking, while making it easier to wipe clean if they do become attached to the lens surface.
- Full-Time DMF
- DMF (Direct Manual Focus) gives you the ability to instantly switch to manual focus while in autofocus mode. This is particularly useful when acquiring a subject using AF, since you'll then be able to fine tune your focus point using the manual focus ring. When the Full-Time DMF switch is on, manual focus is immediately engaged by simply rotating the focus ring, even while shooting in the AF-C mode. If AF causes focus to shift to a different subject while shooting, the focus ring can be used to quickly bring focus back to the desired subject. It can also be useful when it is necessary to focus beyond a set focus range limit.
- Linear Response MF
- The focus ring features Linear Response MF for fine, responsive manual focus control. Manual focus changes linearly in response to focus ring rotation, giving you the control immediacy needed for fast, accurate manual focusing.
- Focus Range Limiter
- The focus range limit switch allows a limited focus range to be selected when the fastest possible focusing is required. Three settings are provided: FULL, 49-15' / 15-4.5m, and Infinity-49' / 15m.
- Drop-In Filter Slot
- The FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS includes a filter slot that accepts 40.5mm filters, as well as the optional VF-DCPL1 drop-in circular polarizing filter. The VF-DCPL1 can be rotated to achieve the desired polarization while installed in the lens.
- High-Speed, Accurate Tracking at f/22
- High-speed, accurate AF tracking for continuous shooting at the minimum aperture of f/22 (a9 software must be updated to the latest version). This is an important advantage, allowing maximum depth of field to be used without limitations when shooting continuously to follow action and ensuring that AF tracking can keep the subject in focus.
- Strong, Lightweight Carbon Fiber Lens Hood
- The supplied lens hood is made of strong, lightweight carbon fiber to minimize added weight. The interior of the hood is lined with flocking to minimize reflections for better light control.
- Increased Mount Strength and Reliability
- While conventional lenses use four mount attachment screws, the FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS uses seven. The number of mount attachment screws has been increased to ensure maximum rigidity and durability that will withstand professional use.
- Versatile High-Durability Tripod Mount
- The tripod collar ring employs bearings to ensure smooth rotation as well as high reliability. It also features a switch that engages or disengages click stops which when engaged, easily and quickly allow the user to switch between horizontal and vertical camera orientations in 90° click stops as required. The click stops can be disengaged when smooth, low-resistance operation is desired.
- Supplied Hard Carrying Case
- A dedicated trunk-style hard case is supplied to protect the lens from shock and vibration during transport. The case has carrying handles on two sides and a convenient carrying strap.
- Function Ring
- The FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS includes a function ring with a switch that lets you select Preset (preset focus), Function, and Off positions. When in the Preset position, the Set button is initially used to memorize the desired focus point, and moving the function ring in either direction will immediately set focus to the memorized point. This can be an advantage for sports and other rapidly changing situations, allowing focus to be preset in advance and instantly recalled to ensure that the decisive moment is properly captured. This function is available whether shooting with AF or MF and can focus outside a set focus limit range. When in the Function position, functions can be assigned to the Function mode via a camera body menu. If Power Focus is assigned and the function ring is rotated, focus shifts smoothly at a speed determined by the amount of function ring rotation. This allows smooth focus shift for movies. If APS-C/Full Frame Select is assigned, the function ring can be rotated to switch between APS-C and full-frame angles of view.
|Lens Mount||Sony E|
|Angle of View||4° 10'|
|Minimum Focus Distance||14.8' / 4.51 m|
|Optical Design||24 Elements in 18 Groups|
|Diaphragm Blades||11, Rounded|
|Tripod Collar||Fixed and Rotating|
|Filter Size||40.5 mm (Drop-In)|
|Dimensions (ø x L)||6.44 x 17.68" / 163.6 x 449 mm|
|Weight||6.7 lb / 3.04 kg|
In the Box
- Sony FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS Lens
- ALC-SH158 Carbon Fiber Lens Hood
- Front Lens Cap
- Sony ALC-R1EM Rear Lens Cap
- Lens Strap
- Trunk-Style Hard Lens Case with Strap and Key
1. FREE Standard Shipping
Free Economy Shipping is available on all orders exceeding R1,000. (T&C's apply)
*Terms and conditions to qualify for free shipping:
- Shipping may only be to a physical address within the borders of South Africa. No P.O Box's allowed.
- Shipping to outlying or remote areas like farms and game reserves may attract an additional fee.
- The delivery time to city areas is usually between 2 and 4 working days*. This excludes weekends and public holidays.
2. SWE Courier Service (local)
We use SWE couriers as our preferred method of delivery.
Your parcel is well packaged and handled with care while in transit.
Shipping charges are all depended on the following:
- Volumetric and Physical weight
- Courier Option
If Item is in stock, your item can be delievered between 1-2 Business Days - Main Cities are: Cape Town, Johannesburg, Pretoria, Durban, Port Elizabeth and East London. Other cities/towns will take more than 1-2 delivery time.
If Item is being collected from our suppliers, you item can be deeilevr between 2-7 Business Days - To all areas.
If the item has been pre-ordered for you, this can take anything from 4 - 8 weeks.
*Reckoned from time of dispatch to time of arrival to client. This is an estimate and not guaranteed. This period does not include Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.
3. UPS Courier Service (International)
International orders are generally subject to local import duties and taxes (VAT)
DT Film Services is not responsible for, nor can we offer, any specific advice regarding any customs related fees that you may incur. For specific information, please consult with your local government import office.
Privacy: Your privacy is important to us. We strive to exceed your expectations for privacy. Cross-border shipments are subject to inspection by customs authorities. We may also be called upon to provide certain order, shipment, and product information to our international carriers. Carriers may communicate such information to customs authorities for the purpose of facilitating customs clearance and compliance with local laws.
International shipments are quoted on a per order basis depending on the size and weight of the parcel shipped.
4. Collect from DT Film Services in Durban
You are welcome to place your order online, pay for it and collect it from our Durban branch. You will need to bring in a print out of the order for collection. Please ask for Louise in Sales on arrival.
DT Film Services - Durban
Open: Mon-Fri 8 to 5PM
5 Nunhead Road,