The HXR-MC2500 Shoulder Mount AVCHD Camcorder from Sony is designed for shooters looking for the inherent stability and professional feel a shoulder-mount form factor provides. It features a 1/4" Exmor R CMOS chip that can work with as little as 0.8 lux illumination when in SD mode, and low light performance is further augmented by a built-in LED light shinning 800 lumens at 1.6; distance. The camera records Full HD in the widely supported AVCHD format and can record SD in the DV codec with an AVI wrapper. Using DV rather than DVD-style MPEG-2 compression for SD means a higher quality thanks to lower compression and compatibility with more editing software. The camera is Wi-Fi enabled allowing you to control it from an app as well as monitor a low-latency live feed on a smartphone or tablet.
Along with two cold shoes, the HXR-MC2500 features one Sony Multi-Interface hot shoe, which allows the attachment of proprietary accessories such as lights and microphones. The hot shoe design means no separate cables will be required for audio accessories and lights will not require a separate battery or power source since they can draw off the camera battery. The two standard shoes provide mounting for third-party lights, field monitors, microphones, wireless receivers, and other on-camera accessories.
For live monitoring, there is an HDMI output, plus composite output which is on a locking BNC connector to ensure the cable doesn't get accidentally get yanked loose during a live broadcast. Video can be recorded internally to the 32GB flash memory, which stores about 170 minutes hours at the 24 Mbps (FX) quality setting, or a SDHC/SDXC or MemoryStick memory card.
- Wide 26.8mm Angle Lens
- With 12x zoom, the lens features a 26.8mm equivalent focal length when at its widest setting, helping to minimize the times a wide angle adapter or converter will be required
- Exmor R CMOS sensor
- The Exmor R CMOS has been redesigned from the previous model to deliver up to 0.8 lux sensitivity in SD mode. In part this sensitivity bump comes from the use of backside illumination, which moves much of the circuity to the back of the sensor enabling larger photosites which can capture more light
- OLED Tru-Finder and 3" LCD Panel
- The Tru-Finder viewfinder uses OLED technology for a better viewing angle and features a resolution of 1.44 million dots, adequate for critical manual focusing. There is also a 3" LCD panel for when the camera is not being used over the shoulder, which features a 0.92 million dot resolution. The LCD screen can be close or disabled when not in use to conserve battery
- Low-Light Shooting
- The HXR-MC2500 is capable of up to 0.8 lux minimum illumination when using manual settings with the shutter set to 1/15 second, the iris at f/1.8, and the gain at 33dB. Plus, there is a built-in LED video light that casts 800 lumens brightness when 1.6' from the subject
- Wi-Fi Enabled with NFC Connectivity
- Through Wi-Fi it is possible to operate a number of camera settings from a smartphone or tablet. You can also monitor a live feed, which is ideal for setups - such as a news conference - where the camera will be placed somewhere that people aren't allowed during the event. The NFC feature saves time, allowing you to pair the camera with NFC-enabled mobile devices simply by tapping the device to the camera. Functions you can access through the app include:
- Record start/stop
- Touch Auto Focus
- Hybrid Recording
- The camera comes equipped with 32GB of built-in memory, offering approximately 170 minutes in the 24 Mbps (FX) quality setting. There is also a memory card slot that can accept SD, SDHC, SDXC, and Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo cards - all available separately - for even longer recording times. Simultaneous modes lets you record to both media at once, while Relay will roller over from one media to the other once the fist fills up. Relay makes indefinite recording possible, as long as the battery lasts or AC power is available
- Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe
- In addition to the two standard cold shoes, the proprietary Multi-Interface shoe allows the camera to talk directly to a range of accessories from Sony without requiring separate wiring. Compatible accessories include microphones, wireless receivers, and even flashes
Note: Multi-Interface shoe is not compatible with accessories that use the earlier Active Interface (AIS) shoe
- DV Recording
- In SD mode, the HXR-MC2500 records in DV codec - the same format used by MiniDV tape cameras - and puts the file in an AVI wrapper. This format is supported by most editing programs, and features less compression than the MPEG-2 SD mode found on many other cameras
- Assignable Lens Ring
- The lens ring can be set to manually control focus, exposure, white balance, iris, or shutter speed - giving you direct access without having to go through the camera's menu
- Time Code
- It is possible to set SMPTE timecode or user bit (UB) for multi camera productions or to make it easier to locate footage in post
- BNC Composite Output
- The composite output uses a BNC terminal, which is a locking connector that reduces the risk of accidentally yanking the cable out during a live broadcast
- Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization with Active Mode
- In addition to normal optical image stabilization, Active Mode provides compensation for the sway that occurs while waking
- Quick AF System
- Designed to improve auto focus accuracy even in low-light conditions
- L Series Battery
- Support for Sony's professional L Series battery line means up to 14 hours of battery life is possible when using the separately available NPF-970 battery
|Image Device||1/4" Exmor R CMOS Sensor (back-illuminated)|
Effective: 6,140,000 (16:9); 4,600,000 (4:3)
|Minimum Illumination||1.6 lux: MAN setting: SS 1/30 sec, Iris F1.8, Gain 33 dB
0.8 lux: MAN setting: SS 1/15 sec, Iris F1.8, Gain 33 dB
||Battery Pack: 7.2 VDC
AC Adapter: 8.4 VDC
|Power Consumption||3.3 W|
|Battery Life||Approximately 285 minutes with NP-F570 battery -- with video light off
Approximately 135 minutes with NP-F570 battery -- with video light on
|Operating Temperature||32 to 104°F / 0 to 40°C|
|Storage Temperature||-4 to 140°F / -20 to 60°C|
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||10.4 x 9.3 x 6.1" / 265 x 235 x 155 mm -- body only
2.6 x 9.4 x 18.1" / 65 x 240 x 460 mm -- with lens hood, lens cap, microphone, and eyecup (excluding the grip belt and including the projecting parts)
|Weight||6.2 lb / 2.8 kg (body only)
6.8 lb / 3.1 kg (lens hood, lens cap, microphone, eyecup, shoe cap, and NP-F570 battery)
Clear Image Zoom: 24x
|Focal Length||f= 2.9 to 34.8 mm
35mm Equivalent 16:9: f= 26.8 to 321.6 mm
35mm Equivalent 4:3: f= 32.8 to 393.6 mm
|Iris||f/1.8 to F3.4 -- auto/manual selectable|
|Focusing Distance||Wide: 0.4" / 10 mm to ∞
Telephoto: 31.5" / 800 mm to ∞
|Image Stabilization||ON (Standard/ACTIVE)/OFF selectable, shift lens|
|Filter Diameter||37 mm|
|LCD Monitor||3" LCD
1.44 million dots
|Shutter Speed Range||1/8 to 1/10,000 (1/6 to 1/10,000 in 24p mode)|
|Preset: Indoor, Outdoor
Color Temperature Set Range: 2300 to 15000K
One-push A, B, Auto selectable
|Gain||0, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 33 dB -- auto selectable|
|Video Formats||HD: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (AVCHD)
SD: DV codec in AVI wrapper
PS (28 Mbps) 1920 x 1080: 60p
FX (24 Mbps) 1920 x 1080: 60i, 30p, 24p; 1280 x 720: 60p
FH (17 Mbps) 1920 x 1080: 60i, 30p, 24p, 16:9, 1280 x 720/60p, 16:9
HQ (9 Mbps) 1280 x 720: 60p
DV (25 Mbps) 720 x 480: 60i
|Recording Media||Internal: 32 GB
Memory Card Slot: SD/SDHC/SDXC and Memory Stick Pro Duo
|Maximum Recording Time||Internal Memory / 32 GB SDHC Card:
PS (LPCM): 145 minutes
FX (LPCM): 170 minutes
FH (LPCM): 225 minutes
HG (LPCM): minutes
DV (LPCM): 140 minutes
|Audio Signal Format||HD: Linear PCM 2-channel; 16-bit, 48 kHz / Dolby Digital 2-channel, 16-bit, 48 kHz
SD: Linear PCM 2-channel; 16-bit, 48 kHz
|Built-In Microphone||Omni-directional stereo electret condenser microphone|
|Outputs||1 x HDMI
1 x Composite on BNC female
1 x Analog Audio on 2 x RCA female
1 x Headphone on 3.5 mm mini-jack
|USB||1 x USB 2.0 on mini-AB connector -- for data transfer to a computer and connecting a USB mass storage device|
|Remote||1 x LANC on 2.5 mm sub-mini|
|Accessory Shoe||1 x Multi Interface Shoe
2 x Cold shoe
|BUILT IN LED|
|Luminous Intensity||3.3' / 1 m: 200 lux
1.6' / 0.5 m: 800 lux
|Protocol||IEEE 802.11 b/g/n|
|NFC||NFC Forum Type 3 Tag compliant|
In the BoxSony HXR-MC2500 Shoulder Mount AVCHD Camcorder
1. FREE Standard Shipping
Free Economy Shipping is available on all orders exceeding R1,000. (T&C's apply)
*Terms and conditions to qualify for free shipping:
- Shipping may only be to a physical address within the borders of South Africa. No P.O Box's allowed.
- Shipping to outlying or remote areas like farms and game reserves may attract an additional fee.
- The delivery time to city areas is usually between 2 and 4 working days*. This excludes weekends and public holidays.
2. SWE Courier Service (local)
We use SWE couriers as our preferred method of delivery.
Your parcel is well packaged and handled with care while in transit.
Shipping charges are all depended on the following:
- Volumetric and Physical weight
- Courier Option
If Item is in stock, your item can be delievered between 1-2 Business Days - Main Cities are: Cape Town, Johannesburg, Pretoria, Durban, Port Elizabeth and East London. Other cities/towns will take more than 1-2 delivery time.
If Item is being collected from our suppliers, you item can be deeilevr between 2-7 Business Days - To all areas.
If the item has been pre-ordered for you, this can take anything from 4 - 8 weeks.
*Reckoned from time of dispatch to time of arrival to client. This is an estimate and not guaranteed. This period does not include Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.
3. UPS Courier Service (International)
International orders are generally subject to local import duties and taxes (VAT)
DT Film Services is not responsible for, nor can we offer, any specific advice regarding any customs related fees that you may incur. For specific information, please consult with your local government import office.
Privacy: Your privacy is important to us. We strive to exceed your expectations for privacy. Cross-border shipments are subject to inspection by customs authorities. We may also be called upon to provide certain order, shipment, and product information to our international carriers. Carriers may communicate such information to customs authorities for the purpose of facilitating customs clearance and compliance with local laws.
International shipments are quoted on a per order basis depending on the size and weight of the parcel shipped.
4. Collect from DT Film Services in Durban
You are welcome to place your order online, pay for it and collect it from our Durban branch. You will need to bring in a print out of the order for collection. Please ask for Louise in Sales on arrival.
DT Film Services - Durban
Open: Mon-Fri 8 to 5PM
5 Nunhead Road,